Thursday, April 19, 2012

Becoming Better

I LOVE Visiting Teaching. I have 3 amazing girls that I get to see and teach. I haven't been called as a Visiting Teacher since the first 3 months of our marriage (5 years ago!!!!) At first I was glad not to be one because we moved so many times and I hate getting so close to some one and then leaving. But after a while I felt a loss. That I needed to be one. After being in my ward for over a year and a half I went to the Relief Society President and asked her if she would make me one. And I was called with in the month. I was set with a single girl in our ward with a crazy busy life. So I have found that most of the time I am the one to take care of it, even if that means I go alone. But I love it. I have gotten to know these 3 women who I never would have. I receive a sense of fulfillment that I haven't before. And this month was the perfect lesson to make it even better. Here are the things you should do as a VT...

•Pray daily for her and her family.
•Seek inspiration to know her and her family.
•Visit her regularly to learn how she is doing and to comfort and strengthen her.
•Stay in frequent contact through visits, phone calls, letters, e-mail, text messages, and simple acts of kindness.
•Greet her at Church meetings.
•Help her when she has an emergency, illness, or other urgent need.
•Teach her the gospel from the scriptures and the Visiting Teaching Messages.
•Inspire her by setting a good example.
•Report to a Relief Society leader about their service and the sister’s spiritual and temporal well-being.

All of these things are so easy to do and work towards if you really want to do what to get to know your girls. What a better way then through the Spirit!

http://www.lds.org/liahona/2012/04/love-watch-over-and-strengthen?lang=eng

No comments: