Sunday, January 15, 2012

That Great and Spacious Building

Today in Sunday school we were taught about 1 Nephi 8-11. And it was a great lesson. We mostly focused on chapter 8 and the significance of it and what the Tree of Life=love of god, Iron Rod=word of god, the Great and Spacious Building=Pride of the world etc. really mean. If you don't know what I'm referring to check out this link here and read chapter 11 too.
My teacher repeated a great quote from the 1987 conference talk by Elder Glenn L. Pace....
"...let me make it completely clear that the people in that building have absolutely nothing to offer except instant, short-term gratification inescapably connected to long-term sorrow and suffering. The commandments you observe were not given by a dispassionate God to prevent you from having fun, but by a loving Father in Heaven who wants you to be happy while you are living on this earth as well as in the hereafter.

Compare the blessings of living the Word of Wisdom to those available to you if you choose to party with those in the great and spacious building. Compare the joy of intelligent humor and wit to drunken, silly, crude, loud laughter. Compare our faithful young women who still have a blush in their cheeks with those who, having long lost their blush, try to persuade you to join them in their loss. Compare lifting people up to putting people down. Compare the ability to receive personal revelation and direction in your life to being tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine. Compare holding the priesthood of God with anything you see going on in that great and spacious building."
What a perfect way to put it. It makes me ache inside for my friends and family that have chosen the instant short gratification over their eternity and their families. I'm so grateful for the happiness that I feel because I know I'm doing the right things. I love Visiting Teaching and the girls I get to go see. I love the power of the Relief society to teach women to lift each other up and support them and work together instead of putting each other down trying to be "better" then others. I love that I have the Prophet of God Thomas S Monson in my ward :) What a sweet blessing it is to see and hear him as often as I do. I am so thankful for the atonement, I don't use it enough. And I'm thankful for all of you who took the time to read this and who care about me and my well being and helped me be who I am. I am a grateful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing.

The Larsen's said...

Thank you for sharing that! I love the article and the perspective on life and those versus. Love you so much and your cute family! :)

Misty said...

Wow, that is an AWESOME quote! Thanks for this post, Alicia - it gives me something to think about. :)

Roylance Fam said...

needed to be reminded of all those things..good post..i miss my LECA!!! love you:)