Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving has come and gone, now what?

So now that thanksgiving is over people are decorating for Christmas and putting up lights and their Christmas trees and spending time with their spouse. I don't mean to sound bitter but doesn't it sound pointless to decorate if your not even going to be home for the holidays? That is my debate. I'm the only one home all day every day and we will be gone from the 19th to the 4th of January. So I don't see a reason to be festive. People are telling me to decorate and put up a tree but should I really if I'm not going to use it? What would you do?
I can't wait for Alan to be done with school so we can start traditions of our own. Give me some idea's of what traditions you guys do for the holidays. What are your favorites? I've got to figure out some thing to get Alan and I into the spirit of Christmas.
As you all know Alan and I have been through a lot in the last month and have lost a lot of what used to be a normal life for us. We've had to change the way we think about life, marriage, money, children, the blessings we've received, and some times we can't wait for Christmas to just be over. But it all makes you think, what is Christmas really about? With all the materialism of the giving of gifts surrounding Christmas, it is important that we look at the deeper spiritual meaning of this celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and examine the gift of God to all humankind in the coming of Christ. Gifts are good because it represents the giving of gifts from the 3 Wise Men but I doubt they stayed up all night and raced and pushed people in the stores to be the first one to get the really expensive gift they wanted for Him. Who is it really for? Is it to max out our credit cards and make a new years resolution to pay them off? Is it for our kids so they can have what all the other kids are getting? Or is it for all the food we get to eat? What about Christ? What do we really do to remind ourselves of what he has done for us and for others? I know myself that I've never really done a whole lot. I know for a few years I would get together with the ward young woman's and give a turkey dinner to a poor family in the ward. But never really did anything after that. I don't even read the story of Christs coming to the earth and the path that had to be made to get him here. But I'm going to challenge myself and you to do some thing that will really give the true spirit of Christmas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jana and Scott said...

Aleca,
I truly understand what you are feeling right now, it's hard to understand this emptiness inside. Christmas will come back to you, the spirit of Christmas comes from children. Just think of the excitment you had when you were a kid, finding gifts under the tree from a jolly man. It didn't matter what the price or where it came from it was the thought of someone getting you something. Now that your the one buying the gifts think of how you make them feel when you give it to them, that is the joy of Christmas. Take one of your own family traditions and make it yours and Alans. Since the time I can remember we all got to open a gift on Christmas eve, and it was always a pair of p.j.'s. I still do it this day with my kids and we love it. Take this Christmas off and enjoy being with family, put the tree up next year. We love you and Merry Christmas!!!

DBA said...

I know how frustrating it can be sometimes. Now that we have kids, we have to decide how we want to teach them about Christmas, and if we even want to include a "Santa". Before Danny and I kids (and even after we did) we didn't decorate for Christmas. It seemed kind of anti-climactic, and expensive. This is the first year we've really decorated and it's all for Wyatt. Being able to see the happiness it brings him makes me happy. Anyway, I hope that you are able to have wonderful Christmas. (If you are home now, and would like some company...let me know! I'm always available!)

Camille said...

hey!! I think maybe you need to make up a Christmas music cd. listening to Christmas music ALWAYS puts me in the mood. Also, you need to watch Muppets Christmas Carol (or something like that), it's a good one.
My family always reads and enacts he birth of Christ on Christmas eve. We even make someone wear donkey ears and crawl on their hands and knees to the designated "Inn" doors.
You could always try each day to read a scripture that talks about the Savior and his purpose for coming to this world.
Just a few suggestions.
I am sorry for all the things you are both going through. I hope you find a way to feel the Christmas spirit despite all of the trials.

The Larsen's said...

Aleca,
Thank you for your message. I have been feeling the same way about Christmas. It's been really hard lately and I hope that I, too, can get into the Christmas spirit a little bit more. Maybe it's just the baby blues that is making it so hard, but I just wanted to thank you for your message again. You're an awesome friend. Have a Merry Christmas!